Thanks to everyone for a lovely sober social yesterday and I hope you’re all not feeling too hungover this morning. Apologies for the lateness of this email but there is plenty to talk about, so strap in for a barrage of information.
First up, elections:
- We are having an AGM at 6pm in the SUHQ (room tbc) on Wednesday week 8 (February 26th). This will be your opportunity to present and vote on amendments to our constitution, which sets the rules and goals for how the band is run.
- After that, at 7.30pm on the same day, we will go to the ensemble room and run our elections for the executive committee positions. If you want to run, the official nominations period is from the week before – however you can decide to run/not run on the day without a formal nomination.
- You may run for as many positions as you want, but if you get elected for one role, I would not recommend attempting to take on another at the same time – it will be a lot of work!
- Voting happens in person and ONLY MEMBERS CAN VOTE.
- We are continuing to present our roles during the breaks in rehearsals – last week myself and Kieran (secretary) described our roles (see a reminder below), and tomorrow Alex (treasurer) and Michael and Imo (social secs) will describe theirs.
- As a reminder, the roles available are president, secretary, treasurer, social sec (x2), small band co-ordinator, marketing manager, equipment manager, and librarian.
- If you are interested in becoming an MD, we will be holding auditions at 7.30pm in the ensemble room on Wednesday week 9 (March 4th).
- If you are interested in potentially being on exec and you want to see what it’s like, we’re holding an open exec meeting tomorrow at 6pm in MR1 in the SUHQ so you can come along and get a feel for what the issues we talk about are and how we make decisions.
For those who missed out/weren’t listening last week, here are the official constitutional descriptions of the roles we discussed last week:
“The President shall:
- Be responsible for the day to day running of the Big Band.
- Be able to answer for the actions of the Big Band.
- Communicate with external bodies where such communications do not fall under the remit of another member of the Executive Committee.
- Be the Chairperson at any meeting of the Big Band.
- Arbitrate in the event of any dispute or conflict within the society.
- Ensure that all other members of the Executive Committee are performing their duties as stated.
- Have ultimate responsibility for the upholding of the Students’ Union Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Be responsible for communicating with the Musical Directors.
- Be responsible for managing and coordinating members at the Big Band’s performances.
The Secretary shall:
- Be responsible for the administration of the band, including but not limited to booking rooms and taking minutes at the Executive Committee’s meetings.
- Take minutes at every Big Band meeting and make them available to any member on request.
- Be responsible for organising the necessary transport and performance licenses for the Big Band performances.
- Be responsible for organising three tours throughout one academic year. These will be two domestic tours and one international tour. It is recommended that these take place once a term, with the international tour taking place at the end of term 3. Whilst on tour the secretary is responsible for the coordination of members and events to make tour as successful as possible.
- Perform the role of the President when the President is unable to do so.”
Next up, gigs:
- We are playing in the dirty duck on Tuesday week 6 (February 11th)! Same drill as last term really, setup will be 7pmish – expect sign-ups soon.
- We are also playing at the 40th University of Warwick Real Ale festival on Friday week 6 (February 14th)! This gig is not one to miss, and neither is the festival – check out their promotional video on Facebook to get a feel for what it’s like. Expect sign-ups and more details soon.
- If you’d like to play with small band for either of these gigs, or indeed for the small band gig on Saturday week 6 (February 15th), make sure you come to rehearsals on Wednesdays 1-3pm.
- As a reminder for all of these gigs, if you have not bought your own gig shirt, you will not be able to play – link to buy them is here.
Finally, mystery mini-tour is coming up on the weekend of Week 7! We’re hoping to get tickets up soon, but for now we can tell you that the theme is “anything from the middle aisle of Aldi” so make sure you get it sorted if you fancy coming!
That’s all for today folks, I’ll see you all tomorrow at rehearsal – usual time, 7.30pm in the ensemble room.
Lots of pres love xxxx